Merit Matters is an advocacy group dedicated to preserving merit in the FDNY testing, hiring and promotion process. To achieve this we will attempt to:
- Work within the FDNY on issues of mutual concern
- Counter false claims and information disseminated by others
- Seek relief from outside agencies when necessary
- Educate and engage the public through use of the media
- Demand equal treatment for all, which means special privilege for none.
We believe in equal opportunity, not guaranteed results. We want standards to be high, meaningful, equally applied and blind to race, gender or ethnicity. Written and physical exams should ensure that the MOST QUALIFIED applicants are chosen; they should NOT be designed to have as many applicants as possible pass